With content creation tools like WordPress and Squarespace anyone can start a website or blog for little to no cost, but it takes a true coding professional to craft a beautiful blog, or a heavily customized website to represent a business.
Your Web Developer Roadmap
I’ve posted before about Free & Premium web development courses, but below is a learning path that I know works because it worked for me, and it can be done incredibly cheaply.
Jonas Schmedtmann is creator of CodingHeroes and he offers the three classes below through Udemy. While each of the courses below lists for $195 dollars I timed my purchases appropriately and bought them on sale for no more than $20 each. Udemy runs huge discount sales all the time, so while I believe the courses are worth full price I definitely recommend waiting for a deal (note : these are not affiliate links – I’m recommending them because I truly believe in the program).
If you’re serious about learning to code and you have minimal money to invest in web design classes my personal recommendation is to take all three of the courses below, in the order they’re listed below. There are many other excellent web development courses available on Udemy, but these are by far the best.
- Build Responsive Real World Websites with HTML5 and CSS
What you’ll learn:
- Easy-to-follow and hands-on web development with HTML5, CSS3 and some jQuery.
- The proven 7 real-world steps from complete scratch to a fully functional and optimized website.
- Simple-to-use web design guidelines and tips to make your website stand out from the crowd.
- How to get and use images, fonts and icons to make your website shine — all for free.
- Responsive web design: learn how to create websites that work beautifully on all screen sizes.
- How to use jQuery for super cool effects like animations, scroll effects and “sticky” navigation.
- How to optimize your website for good speed performance and for search engines (SEO).
- How to launch your website for the world to see it.
- Advanced CSS and Sass: Take Your CSS to the Next Level!
what you’ll learn:
- The most modern and advanced CSS properties and techniques;
- Master the cutting-edge layout technologies Flexbox and CSS Grid;
- Build responsive layouts for all kind of devices and situations;
- How CSS works behind the scenes;
- Architect large CSS codebases for reusability and maintainability using Sass.
what you’ll learn:
- We are going to code two beautiful real-world apps to apply our knowledge and learn new concepts (I provide the starter HTML and CSS code for these projects).
- Learn how to organize and structure your code using modules and functions, how to create data privacy and encapsulation, and why that’s so important.
Gain experience while Learning
While you’re learning to code many experts suggest that you jump right into the industry to gain experience. Below are two free guides chock full of tips that’ll help you go from simply learning the business to actively earning an income in the industry. Take some of their promises with a grain of salt, but these are excellent resources for the newbie front-end designer.
Code your way to 1K: This free guide from Skillcrush provides you with a three part process to follow while learning to code so that you can maximize your ability to make money. They’ll help you find your first client, design a package, and price your work appropriately.
How to early $10,000 while learning to code: This free 77-page guide from Rob Percival walks you through how to rebrand yourself, get experience for your portfolio, bid on gigs, and find a profitable niche in the industry.